Sunday, September 7, 2008

A personal keeper piece... Blue yes BLUE Tigers eye, Apatire and Sterling silver.

I love love BLue tigers eye.  A little love story for you....When I was 7 or 8 I was at a flea market with my mom and found a large piece of blue tigers eye with no gold streaks in it.  I fell in love.  If I remember right he wanted like 10 dollars for it.  I think I had like 2 dollars and I was heartbroken.  He took pity on me and sold it to me for my two dollars.   I treasured it .  With all the moves I dont know what happened to it.  But it facinated me and something about it touched me deaply.  When I started designing jewelry I started looking for blue tigers eye remembering that pretty piece from my childhood.  At the local gemshow I found a vendor with some quarter sized polished nuggets.  While chooseing 3 for myself I had a strange realization, the color of blue tigers eye is eirily similar to the deep blue of the love of my lifes eyes.   His eye color has always facinated me,  I like to think that when I saw that breathtaking streaked blue so many years ago...  it was a part of the twisted path that led me to the man I love so much.   When I found this piece I chose it for its unmarred blue.  No obvious gold streaking.  I wanted to compliment it but not draw attention from the piece itself so I put a simple silver bail on it and paired it with a teeny faceted apatire rondelle to compliment the lighter blues and a sterling silver flower to make it a little more feminine.   I have worn it nonstop since I finished it.  I did go back and buy the other blue tigers eye she had,  it has gold streaking through it but is gorgeous also.  I havent decided what to do with it....

Its hard to capture the lighter nuances of the blue tigers eye.  It looks darker in the pictures than it really is.




0 comments: